Re: Two-line modems

Download speeds of UP TO 112k.  Means that if the FCC let transmission
occur at more than 53K, then you COULD get those speeds.

I use 2 V.90 modems (cost about $50 each), use the Multilink PPP function in
Win NT 4.0 (understand this is in Win98 also), use 2 phone lines, use an ISP
that can handle multilink PPP (wasn't easy to find and only a local would do it,
none of the big boys).

I usually get a rate of about 98K (49K per modem).  This is a TRUE 98k you
get from BUNDLING not to be confused with BONDING.  Bundling is a true fat
pipe that can be taken advantage for quote delivery.  It splits data at the ISP
and sends it down each line and re-assembles it on your end. Bonding sends
different files down the pipe which is fine for websites as they are composed
of multiple files (html, gif, etc.), but not for streaming media like quotes.

Anyway, it usually works well for me, but if one line is dropped, I have to
suffer through with 49K or disconnect and re-connect to get 98K.  I can't just
add the 2nd line back into the stream.

In the meantime, I impatiently wait for Time Warner to deliver cable internet.
They tore up the yards in our neighborhood 3 months ago to lay new fiber, so
where's my cable internet!?!?