RE: CL_Evaluating & Optimizing systems-Oct97,Oct98 WATCH OUT

Agreed.....great post.

In backtesting......regarding Max Drawdown.......watch-out for Oct 1997 and
Oct 1998 time-frames !!!
Your system may be terrific but the max drawdown may have occurred somewhere
in these times of high volatility and drastically fast down-moves.

Don't "kill" your system if it gets "hit" once in these "untypical" times.
Remember...Vic Niederhoffer was bankrupted in Oct 1997....in one day.....he
lost over 40 million.....shorting puts.

Note: I would say August 1987 is another back-testing "outlier"......very,
very few technical indicators could have seen that one coming.