RE: email loopback address?

Believe it or not, e-mail reliability/performance testing is a complex
issue.
You are at the mercy of your ISP that hosts the SMTP and POP servers
(incoming/outgoing mail servers).

TO test your client software (Outlook, Netscape, etc) and the entire
loopback mechanism , you MUST get another e-mail service such as JUNO (it's
free) and send a message to the e-mail address they provide to you....this
will be your 2nd ACCOUNT.
Send the same message to your existing e-mail service/account. Make sure
both messages are addressed to the respective e-mail addresses. You will
have to switch accounts quickly to perform this test correctly.
After an hour, perform a RECEIVE for each ACCOUNT. If you are getting a
least 1 message, then your client-side is working; if you are getting no
messages, your client has a problem as the probabilities of 2 services being
down at the exact same time are slim-to-none.
TO evaluate the performance of the respective ISPs, your must interprete the
e-mail HEADERS which have all of the timing information.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTE: to do the above, your client must support MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS.
Outlook 98 has this capability.
If not, you will have to create 2 instances of the same client and have each
configured differently for the different POP/SMTP server addresses.