Gen Question re Reformatting a Harddrive with Win95 on It

Dear Group,

I recently inherited a 486/66 running Win95.  The harddrive, besides
having Win95 on it, is loaded with programs and files.  I want to
reformat the harddrive (to remove Win95 and all the other programs and
files) and install another OS on a "clean and empty" harddrive.

To reformat the harddrive, I went to a:, entered <format c: /u>, and
received an error message "Drive C is a compressed drive.  Use the
DRVSPACE tool to format this drive."

Questions:

1.  I am unfamiliar with DRVSPACE and can find no instructions within
DOS or WINDOWS on its use.  If DRVSPACE is the correct tool to use to
reformat my harddrive, how do I use it to do so?  What would be
particularly helpful for me would be a list of specific instructions:
Enter {this}, then Enter {that}, then Do {this}, etc.

2.  If DRVSPACE is not the correct tool to use to reformat my harddrive,
how in fact do I do it?

Thank you for any light you could shed for me on this issue.

Sincerely,

Richard

PS  Yesterday, I asked a local computer wizard how to do this, and he
said that I needed to make a Win95 Startup disk, reboot the computer
from that startup disk, and use DRVSPACE and perhaps other files therein
to repartition, uncompress, and reformat the harddrive.  I have made the
Startup disk and rebooted using it.  It does contain several files,
including DRVSPACE, but I have found no instructions generally on
repartitioning, uncompressing, or reformating or specifically on using
any of the files therein (such as DRVSPACE).  When I enter either
<DRVSPACE> or<DRVSPACE c:>, I get a "Bad command or file name" message.
At this point, I have run out of ideas and am seeking your help.