Adventures with WIN2000 RC2

I upgraded to WIN2000 RC2 over the weekend.  It took as long as the
original NT 4 install.  Everything seems to be working now except one of my
hard drives and my Sparq drive.  The user interface is more like WIN98 than
NT -- a good thing.

TradeStation 2000i  SP2 seems to be working as well as before the upgrade,
though I did have to put my password in again after the upgrade.

eSignal now takes over 6 minutes to load vs about 90 seconds before.  I've
got a lot of quote windows (about 300 symbols altogether) and a couple of
chart windows, and a level II window.   Under WINNT 4 SP 5, the whole mess
loaded in 90s or so.  Now it takes over 6 minutes, but once it is up,
switching between windows within eSignal and from eSignal to another app.
seems to go faster.

My Hitachi DK 213A-13 IDE (1.3 GB) hard drive is not accessible from the
GUI of WIN2000.  I can bring up WIN2000 in Safe Command Prompt mode and
access the drive (D: drive) that way.  I can then copy files between my D:
(Hitachi) drive and my other drives, but when I bring up WIN2000 the normal
way, it sees a drive at D: but says it has 0 bytes capacity and 0 bytes
free.  It recognizes it as a Hitachi drive, but doesn't let me access the
data.  I can delete a partition and build it again on the drive, but I
can't format it.  That model drive doesn't show up in the compatibility
list, nor does Hitachi have any drivers for it, though I would have thought
that the only drivers needed to access this drive would be the IDE
controller drivers.  The IDE controller is built into my motherboard, an
ASUS P5A-B Super 7.  I've got an AMD K6 2 400mhz CPU, 256 MB RAM, and 512kb
cache on the motherboard.   Before the upgrade, I had a C: drive of 2 GB
and a G: drive of 6 GB on one EIDE drive in addition to the D: drive on the
old Hitachi 1.3 GB drive.  After the upgrade, I've got all the above but
also an F: drive which seems to be mapped back to the same Hitachi drive as
the D: drive.  Whether I get to it as D: or F:, I have the same problems
with it.

My Syquest Sparq 1 GB drive also doesn't work with WIN2000.  Since I
upgraded to an 8 GB drive, I've not used it much anyway.  Hopefully someone
will come up with a WIN2k driver for it eventually.

Win2k takes a little longer to come up than WINNT 4 SP5 did.  Some of the
internal delays (e.g. in the DOS box and in Lotus 1-2-3) that were annoying
under WINNT 4 SP5 seem to have been fixed.

-uf