Charting data from excel to TS 4.0

When I try to chart a file from excel in the following way, it will not
work.

Cut and paste column of data (with and/or without dates) into a Notepad.
Save Notepad as data.txt
Go to TS 4.0 charting.
Click File, New Window, Chart
With a bullet in “Directory,” and “ASCII files in c:\"
I highlight data.txt
Field Order comes up
I highlight “First line of data file” (if I have the close-only in the
file),
“Date-Close” (if I have the date and close in the file).
Click Ok
“ASCII data file error” comes up:
“You are viewing the top of the selected ASCII data file.  Please verify
that the field order you selected matches the field order in the file.”
(The help button gets windows help box that is a dead end)

Everything looks great so I click “Done.”

Then a "TradeStation by Omega" box comes up.  It says “Invalid Date.” OK
exits back to a blank Chart Window.

I have tried this many different ways with different date formats.

Any solutions or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-gordan