Easy language question on welles wilder's volatility system

Does any one have the .ela file for the volatility system described on page
23 of Welles Wilder's "New Concepts in Technical Trading systems"

I have been trading the system in real time with outstanding results on
Soybeans, Sugar and Gold and now want to backtest it on other markets.

The problem that I have is simple:

How can I reference the highest close whilst in a short trade and the lowest
close whilst in a long trade?????

The system requires these as signals are generated when the SAR (calculated
as the AverageTrueRange * 3 away from the Highest and lowest closes when in
a short and long trade respectively)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark