Re: Buy stops and after-hours markets

> I'm a position trader, using Ameritrade.  I frequently place my orders in
> the early morning with a buy stop a bit above the current close.
>
> Recently I've had several orders cancelled.  Ameritrade has told me that
> buy stops must be placed above the current price

thats what you do at the time

> and the price has moved
> above my stop before the 9:30 AM opening..

by definition a market that trades HIGHER than a BUY STOP turns
that into a MARKET BUY order - and herr in my believe should be
filled first thing on the open.

> Is there any way around this problem other than watching the open and
> deceiding from there?  Do other online brokers use the current
> (after-hours) price rather than the "official" close?

cant comment

> Along this line, what will us poor end-of-day traders do when 24 hour
> trading srtikes and there is no closing price?

the same as FOREX traders do around the world since many years - just
keep trading without an EOD price :-)

rgds hans