Re: Intraday quotes from the Internet

Jim,

I am not using Esignal, but am using PCquote for real time. I have an ISDN
modem and the folks at PCquote say I need A DSL line, This is not for speed
but for dropped quotes. I have had some pretty strange tech support calls
with PC quote, the most disturbing of which, was when I wanted to check a
tick count on the september bonds, and the tech guy said he had to start the
computer that collected the quotes, I felt this was completely unacceptable.
I was using BMI cable before PC quote and gave up on cable because of
intermitent cable service in my area. Also it seems TS2000 is very sensitive
to which data feed you use, and my crash rate went from once a week with
ts2000 and  BMI cable to 2 or 3 times a day with PC quote. There were also
many instances of dropped ticks and entire 10-15 minute time periods missing
in fast markets, and on report releases. I only trade Tbonds so I dont know
how bad it is with the S&P. If your data feed crashes the global server 90%
of the time you have to reboot the entire machine, and this can take over 5
minutes, so this is not exactly the ideal data solution. I am going to give
pcquote the benefit of the doubt and install the dsl line but, I am sick of
the bullshit in this industry about what the real hardware requirements are
for specific apps. If PC quote requires a DSL line stick that info in the
ads or documentation. A DSL line in Chicago takes 6 weeks to install and
isnt exactly cheap. I have my order in for DSL and will be testing Esignal
on ISDN this week. The reason I didnt try signal first was the 500 contract
limit, but thats now been raised to 1000, so I guess I'll guinea pig another
data vendor. I have little experience with satellite due to a lack of sight
lines to the satellite from my house. Sattelite give the best data period,
but costs more money, and you need a place to postion the disk accordingly.
If you would like me to keep you up to date, you can just drop me a note
with further questions. The ideal solution is probably two data feeds and
two computers.

Good luck,
Dale