Re: Price shocks and money management

Bill wrote:
> "System trading is ultimately discretionary. The trader decides
> position size, which markets to play," etc.
> "These decisions are quite important - often more important than trade
> timing."

Bill!  This is what Robert and I are saying!

"System trading" is *impossible* because:

(1)  No one is a robot (People - ALL people - are inconsistent in the
implementation of signals.)

(2)  Traders often do not program their systems to deal with every
conceivable scenario and they know that their systems are not designed to be
traded under every possible condition.

(3)  The data on which systems are based (historical data) does not behave
in the same manner as real-time data feeds (not to mention that each data
feed is different).

(4)  Traders often do not completely program their position sizing and money
management into their "system".

(5)  There are price shocks which will cause system results, when applied
over significant periods of time, to be different than historical backtest
results.

System trading is a myth!

The whole game is position sizing/money management!  The entries and exits
are going to be completely discretionary no matter what "system" you *think*
you are trading.  In reality, no "system" can really be traded due to the
factors listed above!

You want an argument, a real argument, that puts Omega Research out of
business?  There it is.