Price shocks and money management

Regardless of whether you trade systematically or use discretion price shocks
should be avoided.  The issues are capital preservation and risk control.
These issues override systems and market opinions.

In the long run the outcome of price shocks is random.  It only seems that
the shocks always go against us.  If we ignored all potential price shocks we
would have the same result as if we went flat for all potential price shocks.
 The point is that ignoring the potential shocks increases the risk with no
benefit and going flat or hedging the potential shocks reduces risk with no
loss of profit.  The correct choice is obvious.

Systems should not be overridden for directional or timing purposes but they
should be overridden when it comes to issues of risk control.  The highest or
worst risk is the risk that cannot be quantified.  These risks should
definitely be avoided regardless of your trading style.

Assessing many elements of risk is possible on a systematic basis but it can
never be foolproof.  If the discretionary assessment is that the risk is
unknown or unacceptable then the system should be overridden.