Off topic : Is it possible to recover corrupted files? PaperPort Nightmare.

I had a nightmare of a situation of having Norton Uninstall Deluxe wipe out
my Paperport Scanned files (I store lots of my paper files on the computer,
now I am thinking this might be a bad idea).  The Paperport files have
unique filename of  ~desktop.034  ~desktop.832 ~desktop.211 etc.

Norton and Paperport(Scansoft) tech support both have been pointing fingers
at each other and unable to help.

Apparently, the "~" commonly refers to temporary files.  So when I ran
Norton, it erased all my scanned images !!!
Now I find out the new Paperport 6.1 version has fixed this problem and
saves files as regular filenames with a .max extension.  Unfortunately, I
ran the 5.1 version.

The backup/restore function of Norton Uninstall also failed to restore all
the deleted files.  I also restored files from a tape backup.

Many of the files I was able to restore through Norton and the tape are now
unreadable.  Paperport provides a file repair device called Maxfix.exe.
Unfortunately, I don't think it works too well.  It has had limited success
repairing the damaged files.  Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix
corrupted files ?  Please email me privately to avoid taking up space on the
Omega List.  Thank you for your help and consideration.  If anyone else has
had this situation occur, please let me know how you resolved it, thank you.