Re: TS2K - works

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, The Omega Man wrote:

> Now let me get this straight...  You guys are begging (begging!) for tech
> support from the folks who:

Not begging at all - just suggesting a better way for Omega to deliver
support, in which both Omega and the users win.

> (1)  Do not trade
> (2)  Do not know how to program
> (3)  Have stolen from you by selling you worthless software
> (4)  Are malevolently seeking to hide reality from newbies
>
> Have I got the picture about right?

Unfortunately, your picture is good...

> These are the folks you want to rescue
> you?

Not rescue, either - just participate fully in the list discussions to
make the delivery of support more efficient to Omega and users.

This would, of course, mean that Omega would have to stop the
hide-or-deny-any-problems stance they have always taken, and would have to
open up communications in general. This will likely be *very* hard to
change, given the really closed/proprietary orientation of Omega.

A good start would be to drop the stupid "don't tell a soul" signature
that Omega sends out on all their transmissions. That seems to be typical
of their very closed attitude. Granted, there are a few emails that need
such a footer, but it seems ridiculous for general use. Hey, if they tell
me to plug in my computer to solve the problem, is that *really* so
proprietary <g>?

A while back Melody did participate in the list discussions. I, for one,
liked her presence and her comments, mild as they sometimes were. She did
take a lot of heat from upset users - until things change, that seems to
be the way it will be for Omega participants. It is possible that that was
a small test, and it was judged to difficult to continue. Hey, if they do
it again, let's not kill the messenger :-). Keep in mind where the problem
really is.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is a good idea, IMHO.

Larry