Re: [Fwd: EL after 2000 dates.]

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 DStan34930@xxxxxxx wrote:

>   Well I have to give credit to the engineer who had the forsight to put
> the yyymmdd format in EL. So maybe this format was projected as an
> industry-wide standard and not devised by the EL engineer?:)
> And maybe
> yyymmdd ascii data will be compatible with most other software upgrades?
> And maybe even the TS4 offline charts can read and plot this?

Be careful, folks. WITH THE PATCH, TS4 DateToJulian gives:

DateToJulian(990705) = 35678 - an OK value (within single precision)
DateToJulian(1990705) = 6667 - an OK value (within single precision)
      (for all you folks with reeeaaalllly old data :-)

DateToJulian(9990705) = 0 - a BAD value (NOT within single precision)

Single precision can not represent the number 9999999, even though it is
only 7 digits. The largest integer that can be represented in single
precision is around 3400000, well below what is needed to deal with the
900mmdd size that is needed for any date this century, starting at 1900.

There is still a problem caused by single precision.

9xxmmdd is OK as an ASCII/text format, but NOT OK as a single precision
number.

Larry