Re: Speculation vs. Gambling, was Day Trader Loses

     I took a course some years ago on how to Win consistently at Blackjack.
One has to memorize all the possible hands between you and the dealer, all
hands without counting cards has a probability of success, with this
information I would know whether to take another card, "hit me." Memorizing
all possible hands and playing with a one deck shoe, the player actually has
a 2.5% edge over the house.
Now comes the fun part, playing with a one deck shoe and it is just you and
the dealer (play late at night or at higher min. table), memorized all
possible hands, I would count all the 10's and Aces, when the deck is rich
with tens and the dealers' up card is less than 7, I would double down, split
and double do anything to increase the bet unit because then I would have the
edge over the house, when the deck was back to normal, I reduced my betting
units. It was quite profitable when I went to Vegas which back then was once
a month, but even a good thing turns into work after a while.
     What this experience did show me is if I backtest a method well enough
and it shows that it is profitable in the past, it may have the same possible
future, if there are several indicators all pointing in the same direction, I
may want to increase my position. Consistency in playing cards or trading are
the ways for me to make money. But betting on a whim or taking a trade
because of a brokers' recommendation, might as well just throw it away.
Jim