Re: NT logon

> In a message dated 99-06-14 14:37:20 EDT, nchrisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > I have always resisted NT because, as far as I can determine, one may not
> >  set it up to automatically reboot/restart Omega server after a power outage
> >  which runs longer than is covered by a backup power supply.  Just wondering
> >  if anyone has figured out a way around this -- a way to automatically get
> >  past the NT log-on password screen and automate logon once the power comes
> >  back.
>

> Chris
>
>            One solution to the power outage aspect.  Turn of the monitor.  My
> UPS will cover my whole system for about 10 minutes, but with the monitor
> off, it has held the CPU box for over an Hour and a half.
>
>                      Pete

While turning off the monitor will buy you more time on a battery backup,
the problem is you can't see to shutdown your computer gracefully if the
power outage goes on too long. This is OK if you have the software setup
to shutdown your computer automatically if the UPS battery gets too low.
Just don't try to turn the monitor back on after running on battery power
for an hour.  The battery voltage will be close to the shutdown level
after that much time.  If the monitor is turned on, the extra load will
immediately drop the battery voltage below the UPS shutdown level, which
will shutdown the UPS,.... and your computer most ungracefully.

JP