Re: Electronic Trading

At 06:02 PM 1999-06-10 -0700, The Jackal wrote:
>ok, let's talk matif, specifically the cac40 index....from what i've
>heard, they can handle the volume, but can they handle the extreme
>volatility and high volume ala the s&p500? some say not, so the merc is
>hedging their bets with pit trading too.
>sorry, but the e-mini s&p is not ready for the big time and the merc
>knows it. some ex-s&p 1 lot floor traders are now trading 25 and 50
>lots on e-mini terminals and can easily blow thru stops creating large
>multi-handle e-mini price spikes while the big s&p barely budges.

Chicken and egg situation.
Well, the size is capped at 30 lots a time I think?, that what you can expect.
You need to go all the way, not half, half to see results.
Matif went side by side and let the customer choose. Pit died.
As for volatility, I supose the one to watch is the Bunds on report days.

>i expect e-mini system problems with high volatility and order flow
>will be solved once the y2k scare passes.
>TJ
>i'm not anti-electronic trading, but leery of the merc's current
>e-system

I think Globex works, just those outside systems that interface used
by brokers that is the problem.