Re: Trend vs. Chop

In a message dated 6/7/99 8:40:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jrbeac1@xxxxxxx
writes:

<<
 knyyt wrote:

 > > How would I go about calculating the exact trending and
 > > chopping range for each market (or just one market)? How do
 > > you define a trending or chopping range? >>

I think the Plus DI and Minus DI components of the ADX can be very helpful in
trying to quantify and compare choppiness of markets.

Assume that you have two markets that are moving upward at about the same
slope.  One is rising very smoothly and the other is very choppy.  The Minus
DI of the smooth market will be low (20 or less) and the Minus DI of the
choppy market will be high (30 or more).

I think there is some valuable info contained in the DI as an indicator of
choppiness.  Haven't had a chance to explore it thoroughly.

Chuck