How good is "Buy-and-Hold"? It is miserably bad.

How good is "buy and hold the S&P"?
===================================

Occasionally you'll see an article that dismisses
a futures trading system because "it isn't much
better than the performance of a simple buy and
hold strategy".

So, let's see what the performance of Buy and Hold
actually is.

ENTER:
  buy the S&P cash index at market on
  close, on 21 April 1982.  Pay 115.72.

WORST DRAWDOWN:
  peak   on 05 October 1987 @ 328.08
  valley on 20 October 1987 @ 216.46
  drawdown = -34.02%

EXIT:
  sell at market on close, on 04 June 1999, at 1327.75

DURATION:
  the holding period (820421 to 990604) is 17.12 years.

PERFORMANCE:
  initial investment of 115.72 grew to 1327.75 in 17.12
  years.  COMPOUND ANNUAL GROWTH RATE = 15.32% per year.

So we see that buy and hold has a reward-to-risk ratio
of 0.45.  CAGR/MAXDD = 0.45.

DISCUSSION:
  this may be "great" for stocks, since 80% of professionally
  managed mutual funds fail to beat the S&P.  But it
  is truly *awful* for mechanical futures trading systems
  that employ geometric betsize selection.  It turns out
  to be EASY to beat buy-and-hold on a risk adjusted basis.
  Mechanical futures systems can and do achieve much
  better results, routinely.

--
   Mark Johnson     Silicon Valley, California     mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   "... The world will little note, nor long remember, what we
    say here..."   -Abraham Lincoln, "The Gettysburg Address"