Re: Falling Apart

  • To: Ron Augustine <RonAug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Falling Apart
  • From: "J. Rodney Grisham" <grisham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:46:51 -0400 (EDT)

Ron Augustine wrote:

> Whether or not any of this is true is highly suspect-- especially if it
> originated in Usenet as you specified.  Why would anyone attempt to
> establish a premise for an argument by stating "Microsoft products are so
> bad" without stating some proof, specific examples, or at least their belief
> about their claim?
>
> I would like to take the other side of the argument--

<snip, snip>

I also received strongly worded agreement messages privately.  Everyone
is entitled to their opinions.

I have neither time nor interest in carrying on a software development
methodology discussion or a software marketing techniques discussion
on this or any other forum.

However, your first suspicions are false.  Larry Constantine writes
a monthly article on software management in a section entitled
Management Forum in Software Development Magazine.  He is one of
the best known, old-time gurus for software development technologies.
His best known claim to fame is the book Structured Design, Prentice
Hall, 1979.  The quotation in question is part of the article
entitled "Hiring the Best" which appeared in Software Development
Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 5, May 1999.  It also happens to be online
for your immediate reference to the whole thing.  I'd post it,
but it is too big for the list at 37KB.

Go to the home page of Software Development Magazine at the URL:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/

Select "Management" on the left frame.

Once there, in that main frame select the topic:

Hiring the Best
by Larry Constantine
Hire programmers who are more systematic, thoughtful, and thorough
and your projects will follow suit.

The whole article is there, and the long quote is essentially an
exact reproduction of parts of the article - there are a few minor,
unimportant errors in the quote as I posted it.

A few more comments:  Software Development Magazine is a good
magazine for software developers.  Generally its reviews of
products can be trusted, unlike many magazines in the technology
field and those "trading" magazines which are regularly bashed here
for highly biased reviews of trading systems and software.

I happen to be in the group which thinks Microsoft is the least
innovative, successful company I know about.  Gates and compatriots
do nothing for their operating systems until forced by market forces
created by competitors.  Your networking examples are a perfect
illustration of this claim.  In my opinion, and that of most
developers I know, nothing from Microsoft works well until version 3
or later, whether it is an end user product or a development toolkit.

Rod