Re: S&P Depository Receipts

I've had access to a real time SP500 cash feed for a while.  Perhaps it's not
entirely accurate - but I can say without hesitation that the SPY frequently isn't
priced off the cash.  I don't have access to a real time futures feed - but my more
limited information in this market suggests that when there is a large discrepancy
between the cash and the futures for a short period of time (typically in an updraft
or downdraft) - the SPY will trade more like the futures - not the cash.  I'm
talking about intraday price movements here - not EOD or longer term price
movements.

Although the biggest marketing push for the SPY is toward longer-term investors - I
suspect that the people who use it the most are institutional hedgers.  Otherwise -
I doubt you'd see the kind of trading volume it generates (e.g., more than 6 million
shares today - which is typical).  Note that hedgers are making similar use of the
QQQ.

As for the spreads - I don't know what a typical futures spread is - but I know that
the spreads on the SPY can vary dramatically depending on market conditions.  In
times when market volatility is low - it's not unusual to see a spread of 1/32.
It's hard to get that kind of a spread today - on a typical "slow day" now - it
might be 1/16 or 1/8.  And - when the market is having a roller coaster day - all
bets are off.  As with any market - it's usually better to get in and get out when
things are relatively quiet - not when everyone and his sister wants to buy or sell
when you want to buy or sell.

I say all this not for the purpose of trying to teach someone how to trade SPY
effectively short-term - but only to point out some of the possible problems people
trying to trade short term may encounter.  I tried trading it short term last year -
and found that these various cross-currents made short term trading very hard.  So I
gave it up.  I therefore agree with you that short term trading is difficult.  I
don't go short - but the advantages you mention in that area make sense to me.
Robyn