Subject: Re: CFTC Case Update
Author: Alan  Myers
Date:  5/10/99 6:15 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: tj

>an educated public is the best first line of defense in the prevention
>of fraud and purveyors of false hopes and dreams.

I agree with this.  I think that the purveyors can be counted upon to help
educate the public without violation of their right to free speech.  If the
CFTC exists to protect the public, then the legislation needs to be about
what you can't omit.  You should be able to make any claims that you want
(satisfying free speech).  If you are being compensated directly, then you
should have to back them up with something more substantial than "R.X. in
Idaho made $50,000 last month with this system/newsletter/method."

It seems to me that the CFTC has incredibly restrictive regulations that
don't accomplish their worthy objectives.  Hopefully, losing the case would
cause them to re-examine their raison d'etre and look at the efficiency of
the regulations now on the books.

They (the CFTC) can't claim to be doing a very good job of protecting the
public.  Just look at one issue of "Futures" or TASC.  The lack of
enforcement of the existing regulations are a widespread joke.  They've made
it too difficult to convict someone deserving, which is not a lot different
than no regulation at all.  It's even worse than no regulation if they are
fighting difficult, costly marginal cases with big penalty payoffs to
maximize publicity.  They need to shut down all of the vermin, not just the
big ones.  Volume counts.

~Alan