Re: Hedging with convertible bonds?

From: pbf <pbf@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Sidney V. Gold <sgold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 1999 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: Hedging with convertible bonds?

> Sidney, thanks for your insight.  You raised several questions in my
> mind, and I hope you may be able to answer some (all?) of them.  I'll
> relate them to your numbered points:
>
> 1. "interest rebate on short sales"?  Are you referring to the fact that
> there shouldn't be extra margin required for the short sales, since
> they're covered by the bonds?
When you have a short position in stock you should recieve 80% of brokers
call or 90 day t bills as income
for the short fund balance in your account.
When you sell a stock short your brokerage  firm borrows the stock from an
institutional holder or from a margin account  and pays a fee to the lender
of the stock , then invests the proceeds of the short sale earning at least
the t bill rate.

> 2. No question here -- this is a requirement
>
> 3. Again, this is a requirement -- but thanks for emphasizing it so
> strongly.
>
> 4. Any pointers to books that would help me?  My material is from the
> '80s, so things may have changed some! sorry but my feeling is that the
professional traders mostly keep to them selves
the techniques which make them money as to publish them is to create
competation and narrow spreads.