Re: Multiple monitors --- a 21" monitor, perhaps?

Dear Paul,

I run three computers, one with an STB multiple(4)-monitor card, for a total of 6
monitors - I've used the MM card (for trading) since around 1992 and have never
regretted purchasing it.  The first two computers, including the one with the MM
card, use Windows for Workgroups; the newest, and last, computer uses Windows NT
4.0.  I have often thought, and continue to think, about getting an MM card for
the NT computer (my current MM card is not compatible with NT).  If I did, based
on the many notes I have read on this and other lists over the years, the first
place I would look is Colorgraphix.  Although I have not used a Colorgraphix card
myself, I have heard nothing but praise for them, and I have called and talked to
the Colorgraphix people several times and have received nothing but friendly help
from them.  I understand that Appian has shifted their emphasis, but when I first
approached Appian several years ago, their focus was solely on CAD-CAM use, for
architects, builders, etc, and they were then simply not helpful as far as either
talking about financial uses of their card or expanding their knowledge into that
area.  In the last several years, I have also read a number of notes from traders
who have decided, instead of buying an MM card as well as several monitors, to use
a standard video card in conjunction with a large monitor, specifically a 21"
monitor.  21" monitors have now dropped in price such that year-or so old 21"
monitors are available through distributors or on E-Bay for around $600 (new
around $1000 to $1200), which is usually less than an MM card, and substantially
less than the card plus several more monitors.  Furthermore, the traders that I
know who use a 21" monitor (as opposed to 4 smaller monitors thru an MM card) say
that the larger monitor takes less space and is less tiring to use and can also
use a higher resolution --- all the charts that otherwise would be spread out over
the desktop on 4 monitors are now right in front of you on one screen.  Further, I
just don't seem to be able practically to use a resolution greater than 1224x 768
(or whatever it is around there), while the guys with 21" monitors say that they
can use 1600X1200 without problems --- with the result that the 21" monitors can
hold as much info on its screen as 4 smaller monitors at the lesser resolution.
Consequently, were I to expand the monitor potential of my NT computer, I imagine
that I would wind up opting for a 21" monitor, instead of duplicating the
MM-pathway that I followed several years ago.  [I remember a post of a year or two
ago of a guy who had the $ and wanted to go 1st class, so he bought a 2-monitor
card and two 21" monitors.  In some sense, I am doing the same thing, using
mulitple computers.  I prefer the multiple computer idea as I have dedicated one
computer solely to gathering real-time data - no other programs, such as Internet
useage, are on it.  I haven't had a glitch in my data or any downtime with that
computer in as long as I can remember.]  I am curious as to the reasons behind
your preference.  Would you care to describe them, please.

Sincerely,

Richard Josslin