RE: NT WinModems: they DO work!

For those NT users who have not succesfully loaded their winmodems:

too late and bleary eyed again... spent 2+ hours with Dell tech support
setting up drivers on new computer and blah to get his thing to work... yes
its fine. but mr. dell tech said he reconfigures these things "all day long"
after this experince i truly believe him.

Evidently there are SEVERAL differant drivers being shipped with the modems
by RETAIL vendors.. and this is the source of the problem(s)... Dell sets up
their OWN drivers and shps it WITH the winmodem, eliminating the driver
issues... i could recount the 75 steps it took to get it up, but why bother?
buy the "other" frappin modem(dsp onboard)... i could not purchase my new
workstation with one for who knows what reason(s)... in hindsight now, i
should have waited for the 'other' kind with the DSP chip on the modem
card(an extra $50 i now learn) though i was unaware that this was the
difference between the two... i beleive this is significant as technology
moves towards inet based trading... the winmodem does NOT have the DSP on
board and utilizes NT in a "virtual way", with result that under heavy
loads(TS, etc and inet connections simultaneously), u will\may suffer some
level of performance degradation.

I can completely appreciate those who previously posted their lack of
success with winmodems... completely. What i can tell u is switching back
from floppy to NT and USR CDROM, recopying drivers from aforementioned back
and forth, back and forth, rebooting, changing iroq and memory
configuration(s)  eventually led to success. I take no delight in
identifying/correcting these ongoing issues all night long. I wish there
were some reproduceable rhyme or reason to the process; there wasn't, so
therefore I can offer little in the way of consultation for rectifying those
on the list who have/are experiencing similar if not identical challenges.

I  wish to extend my most sincere gratitude and praise for those of you on
this list who continue to exhibit fortitude and perserverence with these
interminable issues, while consistently extending solicited and unsolicited
help to those in need. You are recognized and applauded.  lee