Re: EXE Too Large

Samual,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand all except No. 4 about
parentheses. I assume you mean "()" used to delineate inputs to indicators and
inputs to EL built in System Information functions. Anyway, I've got it whittled and
working. The *.tok files are down to 50kb and 3kb. To you and the list, here's what
I did:

Vista-Research wrote:

> Dear Bill and the rest of the List,
>
>         The .EXE code error comes at the time you link your code onto the chart
> because it includes all the functions your code calls at that time.  It is
> the addition of all this supplementary code that is throwing your system
> over the limit.
>
>         If you want professional help with your "Whittling" let me know.  In
> brief, these are the methods I use to pare down the size:
>
> 1)      Avoid any division you possibly can.  Substitute with Multiplication
>                 Includes code to test for Division by Zero

      *  Substituted multiplication inthe few places where I could.

> 2)      Remove any references to StudyBar [00]
>                 Includes check for MaxBarsBack error

    * Implemented ministacks to handle some of the references to past indicator
values. (This requires adding variables. It's hard to believe that you come out
ahead (smaller compiled code) adding vars but it's working.)

> 3)      Remove any unnecessary Begin...End statements

>                Begin End Block adds program logic

>     * Didn't do anythng here.

> 4)      Remove unnecessary Parenthesis
>                 Program logic to evaluate Parenthesis

    * Didn't understand this.

> 5)      Whittle, Whittle and more Whittle

    * Lots of whittling. Next step is to see how much I can get back into the
systems.

>         And for your other question, .TOK stands for "Token" - you EZL code is
> broken down into "Tokens" during a multi-pass operation then the tokens are
> converted into Machine Language.  These are stored in the ".TOK" file which
> is a loadable object module (.OBJ) with a proprietary header attached.  The
> header tells the Loader how to link in the Functions and IncludeSystems,
> about the passing of Inputs, etc...
>
> I wish I could be of more help,
>         Samuel

Thanks again, Samual.