Help with Uptick-Downtick ELA

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with this ELA but when I try to verify it
the error message comes back as
 "The word THEN must follow an if condition" and the marking cursor if
placed inside the 1st "(1)".  Can someone help with this.  I want to plot a
Paintbar when the xaverage of the upticks is greater than the xaverage of
the upticks of the previous bar, and the xaverage of the downticks is less
than the xaverage of the downticks of the previous bar. In other words,
when the xaverages start moving in opposite directions.

 IF xaverage(upticks,20) > xaverage(upticks,20)(1)  AND
xaverage(downticks,20)<  average(downticks,20)(1) THEN BEGIN

  Plot1(High,"High");
  Plot2(Low, "Low");

  IF CheckAlert Then Alert=TRUE:

End;