Dual 450 MHz processor with 512 MB RAM running TS 4.0

  • To: omega list <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Dual 450 MHz processor with 512 MB RAM running TS 4.0
  • From: Alexander Levitin <alevitin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:04:31 -0500 (EST)

Dual 450 MHz processor with 512 MB RAM running TS 4.0

Dear Comrades:

Recently, I was forced to move my TS 4.0 from DEC Celebris (Pentium Pro
150 MHz and 128 MB RAM) to IBM IntelliStation (two Pentium II Zeon 450
MHz processors, 512 MB RAM). Both computers have Windows NT Workstation
4.0 with SP 4.

Being computer challenged (one of my many) I could only report the
observed difference in performances.
1. Charting portion of TS will load faster. Usually, I load about 5
workspaces with about 5 charts each and about 5 standard indicators on
each chart. No custom indicators at all. (EL is one of my other
challenges. For research, I still use Excel spreadsheet, first, because
of large number data points for analysis, secondly, TS calculates
wrongly, I guess because of single precision problem). On old computer
it took about 15 minutes to load the charts, on new computer about 1
minute.
2. Display of the data in real time is actually slower. (Let say, SP 5
minutes chart display slowly on new computer than on old computer). I
use BMI cable data feed (RT). On old computer I had ISA T-Port card, on
new computer I connect BMI feed directly to serial port, because I do
not have ISA slot to move my T-Port card to new computer. I my
ignorance, I believe that is the cause of slower display.
3. I do not know how to count ticks I receive and I do not know if I
loose them now because serial port has no buffer memory. If some one
tell me how to count ticks I will and report it (instructions should be
suitable for intellectually challenged).
4. I will appreciate suggestions how I could speed up and have buffer
memory for my serial port connection to BMI box. Keep in mind I have
only PCI slots on new computer.

If I could be of any other assistance to those who are researching dual
processors let me know.

Comrade Alex.