Re: Dual Processors ?

At 11:34 PM 3/30/99 +0000, James F. Mazzulla wrote:
>Allan K. wrote:
>>.....if you're running, say, TS4, Excel and a browser at the
>>same time, multiple processors will be kept balanced. You will see a very
>>definite improvement in performance.....
>
>I don't know. I've run all of the above (and more) on two machines
>which are identical in all respects =except= for an extra 300MHz PII
>processor. The improvement in performance thus far has been pretty
>marginal, from what I can determine.
>
>Best regards,
>Jim

It depends on what they're doing. If, for example, Excel is not actively
calculating then it's not doing anything. If independent processes are all
calculating, they will be (almost) twice as fast with dual processors.

The other important thing to mention is that the Windows OS MUST be NT;
Win95/98 cannot multi-process, and will simply ignore extra processors.

Allan

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as
dead; his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein