Profits - when to take'em and how to get the most out

When you enter a trade you don't really have an idea how far that trade will
run in your direction.  Some people trading the S&P for instance might go
few two or three points per trade if their intra-day trading.

Some people move their protective stops lower so their not risking as much
and thus maybe trying to catch more profit than normal.

I would like to hear some discussion on ways people try get more profit than
normal and how they play with protective stops when trying to do so.

A lot of times I might go for 2-3 pts., but the market runs even further.
They say to let your profits run, let's pass some ideas around.