Re: Problems adjusting the position size

At 07:41 PM 2/18/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>maybe you can help me with the following problem:
>
>My system gives the signals to go long or short.
>The moneymanagement strategy tells how many contracts to trade (variable
>"nrContracts").
>
>I want to dynamically adjust the position size (e.g. add 1 contract to
>the position if "nrContracts" increases or subtract 1 contract if it
>decreases)
>
>So, adding is easy (with the Buy command).
>Not so subtracting (with ExitLong) !
>
>The "EasyLanguage Userīs Manual" says on page 102:
>"... EXITLONG or EXITSHORT can be hit only once for *** each instance
>*** of an entry."

This is true. It's very frustrating.

As Hans mentioned, you can regulate how many contracts to take off with an "ExitLong n contracts total" statement, but unfortunately, you can only use that particular exit order ONCE within a position. Once it has been used, it simply won't operate again to take you out of any more.

This means that to scale out of a position you have to have MULTIPLE exitlong orders - one for each possible "lightening up". Then you have to keep track of which ones have been used up, and and which ones to fire next.

Taken together with the one bar delays in the position tracking functions, such as MarketPosition, etc, it really is beyond the reach of EL to handle this very well.

I don't understand why "exitlong" cannot be re-used in a fashion similar to "Buy", but for some reason, that's the way it is.

I have mentioned this to Omega sometime in the past, and I'm hopeful that it'll be altered in TS 2000i, but I'm not really expecting it to be.

BTW, anybody know what the "i" in 2000i might stand for?

Regards,

Mike G.