Re: Max Adverse Excursion

Just a comment  -  Many times when I cut off losing trades based on the MAE
idea the system I am testing  just re-enters again and I wind up with two
small losses instead of one bigger one and a lower winning percentage.  I
guess this is because I am currently working on systems that buy dips and sell
rallies.  Probably wouldn't be a problem in a conventional trend following
system.

Chuck

In a message dated 2/5/99 5:27:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, hw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< I find the trades with the most drawdown have about the same probability
 of
 > working as do the smaller ones, and many times they lead to the biggest
 > gains. MAE - A pipe dream? Probably depends on your system or something.

 When testing systems I start with no stops, and plot frequency
 distributions of both Maximum Adverse Excursions and Maximum Profitable
 Excursions.

 Eyeballing these gives me a good starting point for defining initial and
 breakeven stops, and profit targets.

 Hugh.