Re: DDE Via VB

At 10:08 PM 1/31/99 -0600, Patrick White wrote:
>Has anyone successfully linked Visual Basic to the Omega quote server, like
>how Excel receives data from the server over DDE? If so, how did you do
>this? Can you do this without using OLE and going through Excel?
>
>I recently started learning VB and am interested in this capability. If you
>have some sample code that could start me in the right direction, I would
>greatly appreciate it if you could share it with me.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Patrick White

You won't be able to do this with VB. Although VB has some DDE
capabilities, they won't work with Omega server. Omega server breaks some
DDE rules (surprised?). The only way to do it to get at all of the
capabilities is to use the 16-bit version of VC++ (the old version 1.52c)
together with the Omega Server SDK (available free for the asking from
Omega). Also, there are some old chronic bugs in the DDE-Server interface.
Ultimately, DDE with the Omega server turns out to be an exercise in
frustration.

Allan

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." - Bertrand Russell