Re: Y2K Question

Robert W Cummings <robert.cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>  Patrick White wrote
>
> Do any of you know if TS 3.5 will still work after year 2000?
>
>>No, it will not ( to the best of my knowledge).
>>
>>>  Also, is the patch for TS 4.0 really needed for Y2K?
>
>Yes.
>
>>Pierre Orphelin

Well, I'm successfully collecting 2000 contracts now with TS 3.5.
I have the box in Server->Option->Settings->Morning Update labeled:

   "Mark expired contracts"

unchecked, and I have:

   "Auto add futures contracts [12] months out"

in effect.

I have morning update active, but since TS 3.5 gives me the option
of not expiring the contracts, it's doing the good part of its job
without the bad part.  From the comments I read here, apparently
TS 4 doesn't give this Morning Update option.

>I have TS4 but I think Omega's policy sucks for TS3.5 owners...
>Robert

I have TS4 too, but it's sitting in the corner in its box because
I consider it to be a significant DOWNGRADE from TS 3.5.  I might
feel differently if I traded high-volume stocks that print more than
30,720 ticks in a day, but I don't.  I can live without the text
and trendline features of TS4 EL, and the Tom deMark talking whatsits,
thank you very much.

TS 3.5 added very few new features over TS 3.0, and by the time they
got to build 10, it was very, very stable.  From what I read, they're
still trying to debug TS 4.0, and are trying to decide just what
TS 5, er..., TS2000 should be.  Oops, sorry, I guess they're not
really working on TS 4 anymore, so that debug statement is unfair.

I think the biggest danger for us TS 3.5 folks, and probably TS 4
folks too, is the possibility that the data vendors will change
their broadcast format somehow in honor of Y2K and thus break our
servers.  But barring that, I think my trusty TS 3.5 may well keep
right on working through the rollover into Y2K.  Maybe we should
work on a converter to somehow render TS 4 data into TS 3.5 format,
as a Y2K fix for TS 4... :)

Jim