Re: Refresh data comparison

Carroll Slemaker wrote:

> Roughly a year ago I was using Signal FM and wished to compare what I
> was receiving with what Omega was receiving in Florida (I was  concerned
> that I was perhaps losing data within my system).  I asked Omega what
> Signal medium they were using for their refresh data and they said
> "FM".  I compared a couple of days of my tick data on the front S&P
> contract with their refresh data and they compared identically.
>
> I later switched to cable and my daily tick counts immediately jumped
> dramatically.

Interesting.  Especially since Omega just told me they get their
Signal refresh data from satellite.

>Dear Mr. Lane,

>We collect data from Signal via Satellite.  If there is a problem with the
>satellite or our dish that could cause a problem with our data  reception.

Your explanation makes a lot more sense, but it contradicts what
Omega is telling me.  And even if Omega switched from FM to satellite
at some point, that still wouldn't explain my numbers, because the
most recent files are just as bad as the older ones.  Maybe my
source at Omega was incorrect, and they're using FM, as they told
you.

At any rate, the point of my original post was not to impugn Signal
(or Omega, for that matter).  It was to suggest that, for whatever
reason, Omega's Signal refresh files appear to have some serious
problems and probably shouldn't be used.