Re: learning a new programming language

Dans un courrier daté du 14/11/98 06:07:55 Heure d6iver Pari55 Madrid,
trade_jack@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> bingo, you got it!
>
>  the beauty of tradelab is that you're not tied into a "niche" language
>  like el, thus more resources are available for learning the language
>  or hire others to do the programming for you. i can easily contract
>  vb/vc++ programmers in my immediate area for complex systems
>  development than i can now with el. most of the simple stuff i'll
>  program myself like i've done in the past with el.

Probably right from your point of view.
I personally would not for the moment reconsider to translate all of my EL
suff into VB, unless the advantage are so obvious to me that the question has
not to be posted.
As I do not use external programing services, I should consider this if it was
proven to me that VB could bring new features that I need . I know that there
are VB features unavailable in EL, but I also need that they have some use to
me.
For the moment, it's not the case in MY case, and TS5 new features will
certainly fit most of my needs for what I have seen and for what I know.

>  the downside is that traders used to el will have to learn a new
>  language. but from what i've seen already with my vb6 installation,
>  the transition should go smoothly.

Probably, but it's a new software to learn ( should be easy) and a new
language to practice.
Even if close to EL, it's more time to spend to translate and test all of the
indicators/ system codes.
(Forgot to say that I'm lazy for this kind of work).
As I find that our current day duration ( 24 hours only in a day in France,
notoriously too low), this question is also of imortance and mostly a question
of time/ reward ration to evaluate. We have not the same criteria because we
are alldifferent and what may be true for you could be wron for me, without
meanning that anyone is right or wrong.

>  the question i have is: if ts 5 and tl both support active x / ole,
>  then how will this feature help those of us running vb6 compiled
>  trading programs under tl and wanting to run them under ts5? ie, can
>  we run those same vb programs under ts5?

I do not know if it's possible.
I'm not proficient enough to answer to this.
If it was possible , this should be the best solution to all of us:Running TS5
to spare most of the current work ,and use TradeLab for special cases, or
allowing a smooth migration for people that do not like TradeStation but still
use it ( I have een told that some people fall in this category, but I could
be wrong).

>  TJ
>
>  i look forward to the day when sir fuzzy runs under tl. really!

The SirFuzzy thing is a standalone 32 bits application ( aka "The Assistant")
You could use it with TradeLab if we develop the two modules that are running
in TS:
-One that build ASCII training files from a chart.
( this one could even be developed by yourself)
-One that runs the Neurofuzzy system produced by the Assistant as a TS system.
( "the runtime DLL's).
As these modules are mainly C DLL's, it's not so difficult to recompile them
and make them run in any application that calls DLL's like TradeLab is.

The only annoying thing is that we cannot develop without knowing if there is
an interest to the TL users for our neurosomething product.
We  will need to test on TradeLab, write a new manual...have an twinhead
technical support.
To early to say anything. Time will tell.
For the moment, we have adapted the DLL's to the 32 bit TradeStation5
environment without any difficulty. This is the only thing that we can do (
other products are unavailable for the moment).

This only said to show you that we do not refuse anything in principle.
Unlss proven differently, TradeStation4 /5 is for the moment ( as for today)
the best (and alone!) environment to run neurofuzzy systems produced by the
Safir-X Assistant.

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin