Data vendors and payola

A recent announcement from Future Source regarding Omega's agreement to
support the FS data feed seemed to indicate that FS had agreed to a revenue
sharing agreement with Omega. This gave the appearance at least that Omega's
willingness to do a FS data feed had more to do with revenue sharing than
with the need for continued support to existing FS/TS subscribers. I had a
Telescan account long before I installed SC2x but was forced to open a
separate account and pay a "setup fee" to Telescan. When I complained loudly
enough about it, I was told that Telescan did not keep the setup fee and
that the separate account was required to track usage by Omega products. I
think if you examine Omega's financials, you will find that income from such
fees is not insignificant. I don't in any way object to a developer
recovering costs of customizing a data feed, however Omega seems to do this
in an insidious manner. By contrast, Equis includes the Reuters downloader
(Reuters owns Equis) and offers downloaders for many other services at
additional charge. Thus the customer has the choices, and Equis has revenue
to defer costs of developing other data feeds. The smaller trading software
developers seem to base data feed support entirely upon customer demand
without a cut of the data fees.

I suspect that Omega intends for its "strategic relationships" to reach into
ever more pockets via internet connections e.g. data, order entry,
advisories, etc..

Earl