Re: Random entries + LeBeau exit = Profitable system

At 12:59 PM 11/2/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> I would like to test this exit strategy (and others) during live intraday
>> trading.  A question: How can I tell a TS System that I entered a position
>> Long at $105.00 at 2:14PM, so the System would indicate the actual position
>> entry on the chart, then apply and plot the exit strategy from that point
>> forward on the chart?
>
>input: ent_date(981102), ent_time(1414), buy_sell("buy");
>
>if date = ent_date and time = ent_time then begin
>  if buy_sell = "buy" then buy else
>  if buy_sell = "sell" then sell;
>end;
>
>--
>   Dennis

This kind of thing is one of the troubles with TS that causes people to look elsewhere for trading software.

You'd think it should be easy to say I bought at a particular time at a particular price. Well, guess what - it isn't.

With great respect to Dennis, the code above only partially addresses the problem. First of all, you'd have to be running on a 1 minute chart to get the time of 1414 to match any bar's time and generate the signal. Second, there's no provision for specifying price, since the buy and sell signals will act on the close of that bar. You'll get whatever price the close is, rather than the desired $105.00. Perhaps it's a small error, but on bigger bars, it can be a real pain.

Mike Gossland