Re: Exits and the Holy Grail + "Trading Receipes"

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:10:36 +0300, tabanna wrote:

>Anyone has experience with program "Trading Receipes" which may lead some
>close to Holy Grail ?
>
>Believe this is a difficult 'clunky' program with outstanding insights.

Trading Recipes is certainly not the "Holy Grail" nor does it have any outstanding
insights per se.  It is however, in my opinion, the best program for backtesting on EOD
data.  It doesn't have the flexibility of TS and can only accept daily data, but it also
doesn't have many of the idosyncracies of TS.  Trading Recipes only uses daily data,
so many may not find it of much use.  It's most unique feature is the ability to
incorporate money management logic on a portfolio level.  This opens up whole new
worlds and is like seeing in color after seeing only in black and white looking at single
tests.  I think the Omega "Portfolio Analyzer" will allow you to do similar things, but
it seems to be a work-around rather than an elegant solution.  Trading Recipes is a
DOS program and is "clunky" compared to new windows programs.  But it is also
lightning fast.  I'm mainly a stock trader, so I like to test trading strategies over
several hundred stocks.  I could care less what the results of INTC or MSFT are
individually, which TS can tell me.  I want to know what my equity curve looks like
when I'm trading INTC,MSFT, and a half dozen other things at the same time, which is
what Trading Recipes can tell me in a heartbeat.  It is expensive, but for some people,
especially more hard-core backtesting types that aren't scared of a little programming,
it may be just the thing.

You can request a demo from:

RW Systems
5757 Westheimer
Suite 3-239
Houston, Texas  77057-5721
(713) 953-7829

Standard disclaimer applies--no affiliation with the company, just a satisifed user.

Regards,

Lawson McWhorter
lawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx