Re: TradeStation Server and Windows NT

David Powell wrote:

> Help -
> Has anyone had the problem described below

Yes

> and figured out a fix?

No, just work around it.  See below.

> I've had the problem described below on two different machines.  The
> first was an IBM Pentium 166 with Windows NT 3.51 platform and
> TradeStation 3.5, then 4.0 build 19.6 all the way up to build 21.

I started with a Gateway 486, NT 3.51, TS 3.5

> Data
> via cable, Com Port1, first by Signal (until the class action law suit
> gave me a chance to switch), then (switched to ) BMI.  I thought the
> problem was the lousy, crumy IBM box and it would go away when I
> upgraded (wrong).  I now have a Dell Dimension XPS R400 with Windows NT
> 4.0 service pack 3, running TradeStation 4.0 build 21.

I have Dell Dimension (forget the model) but Pentium Pro 200 CPU;
the rest of the configuration is like yours.

> Both machines
> had cable data coming in on Com Port1 and the modem/internet coming in
> on Com2.
>
> The Problem - when I have to take the machine down, the Server gives me
> the message:
> "Hardware not present
> FAILURE TO ESTABLISH COMMUNICATIONS
> Unable to synchronize at 38400
> about to try baudrate at 57600"
> Then it cycles through all the baud rates with the same messages.
>
> The only way I have been able to get the thing to work is to change the
> com to com3, exit out of TS, Shut down the machine, turn it OFF, wait a
> few minutes, power back up, fire up the server, let it get its nasty
> fill of com3, change to com1, and then, if I'm lucky, I get:
> "Communications established
> Baud rate is set"
> Otherwise, I have to repeat the process until it works.  This can take
> an hour, easy.
> Any ideas?  Omega doesn't support NT and vice versa.
> Thanks !

I don't have to take the computer down to create the problem, just
shutdown the Omega server and try to restart it later.

I asked the same question and was told by an "expert" who used to
give good advice on this omega-list discussion group, but who
has since disappeared, just to let the Omega server cycle.  It
would eventually sync up with the BMI box.

I have let it run for 2 or so hours without success.

My workaround, when the failure to sync messages start, is to
shutdown the Omega server and immediately re-start it.
With the old Gateway, I'd sometimes have to do it a dozen times
before it would sync.  With the Dell, I don't believe it has ever
taken more than 3 (maybe 4) times to get the Omega server to sync.

As an old programmer, including some real-time applications, this
situation just smells like lousy programming resulting in a server
that barely works.  It sure has minimal, if any, code to compensate
for communication errors.

Good luck with this less painful alternative to your way.

Rod