Re: Buy Alert! OFF TOPIC

  • To: Phil Lane <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Buy Alert! OFF TOPIC
  • From: Allan Kaminsky <allank@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:31:50 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:10 PM 10/7/98 -0700, Phil Lane wrote:
>I keep getting these eamil "Buy Alerts" on these junk stocks..
>The return addresses vary, but all are "undeliverable". How annoying!
>
>Who are these maggots and how can we shut them down? Any ideas??
>Thanks

They forge the headers to discourage tracking, because all of the
responsible ISP's have Acceptable Use Policies that don't allow Spamming.
However, they can be tracked. You need to display full headers with your
mail program. There is almost always sufficient information to get around
the forgery and track them. You can then forward the Spam to the postmaster
at the originating ISP; they will usually close the offending account.

For more information on how to combat Spam, download the SPAM-L FAQ at:

http://oasis.ot.com/~dmuth/spam-l/

Allan

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams