RE: Linux vs NT...

Well Ok I guess I'm not done with it...
[DH wrote]
An interesting argument that simply ignores the facts.  The open source
model works and results in solid, reliable code that is quickly fixed...
meanwhile, massive code reviews and accountability at Microsoft have not
produced a superior product or bug fixes that are any more timely than
Linux... speaking of timely... when is Windows NT 5.0 shipping?
NT5.0 was announced to ship later next year.  Sources have said this
announcement was based more on marketing than reallity.  The reality is that
NT5.0 is ready to go now.  Practically everybody at MS uses it on the
desktop systems -- from finance to the art department to development.
Lowering expectations of the market can only help the stock when surprise,
surprise it's delivered ahead of schedule.  Look for it early next year
instead of Q3 99 as anounced.  And juding from the articles in PC WEEK
Corporate America is perfectly willing to wait because they're very happy
with NT4.

[DH wrote]
The highest paid minds aren't always the best minds.  Microsoft hires the
talent that is available at the time for a price they're willing to pay.

I'd say this is genrally the rule.  However, MS is actively recruting from
the best CS departments in the country like MIT, Yale, Stanford, USC, UCLA,
etc.  They get first crack at them and since they have more money than other
companies, they can offer more.

[DH wrote]
The best minds will be available for the right price when needed.  This is
true in all companies and Microsoft is probably no exception.  In the case
of Linx and the Unix community, the best minds tend to gravitate to the
highest quality projects, not the highest salaries.

I didn't say "always."  I said "generally".  What I meant by this was that
the MAJORITY gravitate to the best paying jobs.  Why?  Because companies
like MS are out there waving tons of dollars and cars and a cush job with
free soda, flex hours and everything else you can imagine.  A chance to work
on cutting edge technology and directly contribute to the way you and I
compute, the best equipment, the best of everything and a chance to become
REALLY rich and garunteed very well-to-do in one of most expensive parts of
the country.  Do you know how hard that is to resist no matter how
idealistic you are?  When faced with this, the majority (not all) from the
pool of "best minds" will choose the corporate path over the idealistic one.

You probably still don't agree but that's what makes a horse race right?
<smile>.

Good Trading,
Brian.