Volatility Measurements

I am trying to come up with a choppy vs. trend measurement.
One of my rabbit trails has me trying to put Bollinger Bands on a VIDYA.
I figure when they blow up, the market is beginning a trend and when
they contract, the market is beginning a congestion.  The problem is I
can't get the code (see below) to verify.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone has a better idea,
please, I'd love to hear it . . . my mind is turning to mush.
-David
{Indicator}
Inputs: Length(34),Smooth(13),StdDevUp(2),StdDevDn(-2);

Plot1(BollingerBand(Vidya(Length,Smooth),StdDevUp),"BollTop");
Plot2(BollingerBand(Vidya(Length,Smooth),StdDevDn),"BollBot");
{I have Vidya as a function}