Re: Linux vs NT...

MB wrote:

> I disagree, the smartest mind dont work for someone.  They do it for
> the passions sake, they dont worry about the money, its the thrill
> of the game and they will win.

And I disagree with this sentiment.

I was "employed" as a programmer and software engineer for nearly 40
years beginning in 1958.  Programmers didn't "work" for someone in the
usual sense.  Instead, employers provided us with a roof over our heads,
food in our guts, and - best of all - a sandbox in which to play!  We
poured our hearts, souls, and TIME into projects to an extent that is an
employer's wildest fantasy, and we did this because it was  FUN, not
because it was a job.

Mark, you're right about the passion - but it's a hell of a lot more fun
if you don't have to worry about where your next meal is going to come
from.  But even more important - especially in the early days - only
employers possessed the kind of "sandbox" in which you could play these
games.  And, in fact, this is STILL true with respect to cutting-edge
hardware and software.

One final comment about Linux specifically.  First, let me say that I
know absolutely nothing about Linux other than what I have read here.
But it seems to me that Linux may be the ultimate example of
Design-by-Committee, and a committee which is unorganized and widely
scattered at that!

Carroll Slemaker