Re: Linux vs NT...

In a message dated 98-10-04 11:43:00 EDT, bnm03@xxxxxxx writes:

> 1. Microsoft generally has access to the best minds in the world. Not only
>  do coders know they will likely become rich (NT building has among the
>  highest paid employees at MS) but they know there code and ideas will be
>  far-reaching.  So there's a higher probablity that the best code from the
>  best minds will work come from Microsoft.

No chance. Microshaft is notorious in the industry for long hours and short
pay. I don't see how that makes it more likely that the "best minds" want to
work for Microshaft.

>  2. I could see where Linux would be typically developed in acadamic
>
>  settings, and often a learning platform for the uninitiated and
>  inexperienced. This really the only thing developers who spend their time
on
>  Linux stand to get from their experience.  Since the goal of most software
>  individuals is to make money, they leverage this experience in a company
>  like MS.

Maybe. Maybe by phd candidates that already have 10 years of work experience.
Maybe by professional software engineers hacking around on weekends. In any
case, you're talking about the OS, not the application software.

>  3. Microsoft has massive internal code reviews so how do these differ and
>  fall short of the peer reviews for Linux.  Coders at Microsoft have to be
>  directly accountable -- their livelyhood depends on it whereas Linux
>  developers can just walk away.  I could see this as a critical flaw in the
>  open-source development model -- this translates into less incentive and no
>  direct accountability for existing problems.

Since Microshaft's stuff seems to be just as buggy as anybody else's software,
what's your point?

>  2. Does Linuex have a GUI?  Contrary to the belief by some hackers that
>  computers never really needed a GUI, the GUI has done more to bring
>  computers into the mainstream than anytying.  People think in terms of
>  pictures and GUI gives us that.  The level of art and pictorial
>  representation is improving with windows.  In Linux who will advance the
art
>  and pictorial representation?  Different people are going to want to do
>  things differently.  Who will decide?  Having a unified company like MS at
>  the helm helps move us forward.

Haven't seen Linux, but Solaris certainly has a gui, a lot better one than
Windoze, IMO. Same goes for SCO.

> I want customer support. I want
>  compatiblity.  I want upgrades that I don't have to worry about.

I want that too. I hope you're not saying Microshaft provides it!