Re: System exits

I have to own up to not being a TS user, and so have no code, but am happy
to give more details. It's a first hour breakout system - tasc had a
similar system for S&P within living memory (but I can't find it). I trade
FTSE.

Buy the high, sell the low of the first hour. If these points hold up as
the day goes on, stops tend to accumulate there, so I actually place my
orders just inside the range, contrary to received wisdom of a tick outside
the range. If the trade goes in my favour, stop is moved to breakeven. If
trade is stopped out either at a loss, or breakeven, a new entry order is
placed using the new high/low of the day. Exit at a profit target, or
close. Cancel unfilled orders 10 minutes before close.

As stated, I use a 20day ema of average true range to determine volatility.
My profit target is 55 percent of this, initial stop is 40 percent (but
subject to a maximum for money management reasons - your choice), and
amount in profit to move stop to breakeven is 15 percent (subject to
minimum of 9 FTSE points, which has not been used for quite a time!).

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a filter to give direction.
Logically, using the direction of a higher trend would be a good idea, but
that filters out all the sharp countertrend moves, from which a large part
of the system profits come.

Advantages: No subjective decisions. Will always catch a good intraday
move. Easy to follow - just program computer to signal when its time to
move stop to breakeven, otherwise forget about it. Trade can give you a
kick start to a position trade if relevant criteria are met.

Disadvantages: Suffers losses in choppy and congested periods. Sensitive to
commission rates because of high frequency of trading and low average
return per trade.

That's the theory. In practice I find it advantageous not to exit MIT at
the profit target, but when the market reaches that point, put a stop at a
*suitable* place. If the market then goes through the profit target, move
stop to that point, and hope for a really good day.

Another trader has suggested that such a system on say the E-mini or Dow
would be better entering 20-30 minutes after the open. With the markets we
have had in the last few months I quite agree. However, in UK our economic
figures come out one hour after the FTSE futures has opened, and I find it
better to wait for these figures before placing orders. In the US you have
the advantage of having most figures before the S&P and Dow open, so any
good trend is more likely to start from the outset of trading.

Hope this is of help.

Hugh.