RE: Taking Losses

>Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 09:54:22 -0500
>To: <bnm@xxxxxxxxxx>
>From: Stewart Taylor <staylor@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: Taking Losses
>

>>Good for your friends and good for you.  However, the probabilities favor
>>staying with a trend on a daily chart.  That's a fact.
>
>15 years of trading (both ways) don't leave me convinced that it is a fact.
>
>>Again I think you're leaving out the context in which your friends counter
>>trend trade.  The smart play isn't countertrend trade a market like Canadian
>>Dollar futures.  If you must countertrend then finding a market that's not
>>trending as strongly would be better.  This is the crux of our problem I
>>think.
>
>There are markets I don't fade. But generally speaking, the strong trends
inevitably give way to trading ranges and corrections and opportunities.
Don't get me wrong, I do follow trends when the develop (I have a long term
bond trade on from much, much lower), but I tend to do much better counter
trend (particularly when trading swings and short term). No, I wasn't
trading the bonds on the short side for the first day or two after the
breakout, but I have made several trades on the short side over the last
several days and several trades on the long side with about equal results.

>>Of course, aren't you an equities trader?
>
>No, Im a futures trader and have been for 15 years. I've never traded an
equity but am considering doing some now.

>>Again, countertrend trading a trending market isn't the highest probability
>>play for these reasons. Therefor I charcterize it as not the smartest play.
>
>Again, in your experience, but not in mine.
>
>>It's true: trading is about trading on the side with the highest
>>probabilties.  It's also true  the the highest probablilities are found with
>>the trend. A market that's trending weakly has a good play as it falls into
>>support or moves into resistance.  For a stronger trend, say up, the
>>probabilities favor buying the dips rather than trying to fade it as it
>>approaches resistacne.  The probablities say that it will clear resistance
>>rather than fall through support.
>
>>Of couse, trends need traders like you to keep them going.  If you want to
>>fade a market like Bonds and S+P (when it's going up or down) then not only
>>are you subjecting yourself to unecesarry risk for comparatively little
>>reward but your chance of ruin goes up dramatically.
>
>Again, lots of ways to skin the trading cat. Frankly, I find this
paragraph insulting. "Trends need traders like me".... that's ok... My
institutions and I make plenty of money selling to the breakout guys on
upthrusts and springs and failed breakouts.  How about this... you do
things your way, Ill do things my way...... even if you don't respect my
way (and actually I could care less) I will give you and your methods the
respect they deserve. I won't even claim that I know the truth. Obviously
you have a better handle on the truth than I do.

>Actually, my biggest gripe is that you are so all fired sure that your way
is so much better... when actually... it is just another way to skin the
trading cat. Anyway, Im done.  Case shut. Good luck. Stewart