Re: More LeoWeb shortcomings

See below for answers.

Earl

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Harrington <njhprovo@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Earl Adamy' <eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx>; 'List-omega' <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: leomgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <leomgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, September 03, 1998 2:31 PM
Subject: RE: More LeoWeb shortcomings

>1. I have heard that the only orders really accepted by the CME for E-Minis
>is limit orders. True?

Many brokers, including mine, accept market and stop orders for the e-mini.
However, it is my understanding that such orders are "not held" i.e. the broker
is not responsible if the computers doing the conversions and price watching
screw up. Perhaps others can shed more light on this.

>2. Why was your supposedly erroneous order of selling at 10000 (100.00)
>limit an unacceptable order. Isn't another way to state a limit order to say
>sell at 100 or better. Isn't 1002.00 better than 100.00?

Globex has a limit to the allowable differential between the order and current
price. I believe that limit is 7-8 points. If the differential exceeds the
limit, the order is rejected.

>3 I know sell limits are usually used when the market is below the limit
>price and vice versa for buys. Is it a bad order if you give a sell limit
>1000.00 and the market is at 1002.00?

See #2

>4. In fact, if you really just want to use market orders, why don't you make
>all your buys Buy at 100000.00 limit, and all your sells Sell at 0.00 limit.

See #2

>Pardon my ignorance on these issues. I have just really used stops, MITs,
>and market orders, and I apparently don't understand the details of limit
>orders.

No ignorance in asking a thoughtful question. I believe the differential limits
are a well-intended filter to eliminate clutter. www.cme.com has buckets of
information regarding the operation of the cme, e-mini, and globex.

>5. Have you used LeoWeb for trading spoo's? Were your fills always
>reasonable, even if the reports may have varied based on the Cubs being up
>or down? Or when the Cubs were down and the orders had to be printed, did
>you notice worse fills as well as reporting back.

Yes, have used LeoWeb for trading spoo, e-mini, and currencies. Executions have
with a couple of exceptions in fast markets, been excellent - delays in fill
reporting seem do not seem to mean delay in execution. CUBS is up or down. Fill
reports are fast except when they are slow because the fill clerk is backed up
entering fills - no, the pit broker is not punching stuff into a hand held.

Confidence when entering/exiting positions is extremely important to my trading.
I have a fair degree of confidence in getting good execution when everything is
up. I don't have confidence in LeoWeb because it is not always up and because
LeoWeb fails to meet my minimum expectations of software usability which
includes catching and reporting obvious errors.

I am told that a new version of LeoWeb will be out in a couple of weeks along
with Globex II and that some of these difficiencies, including failure to report
rejected orders, will be fixed. I'm hopeful it will be better, but am frankly
dismayed by the degree to which the futures order handling software lags the
rest of the securities industry. It's like they had to reinvent everything from
scratch instead of starting with some solid existing designs.

>6. Is LeoWeb connected to the electronic EMini system so that fills are more
>instantaneous?

Yes

>7. Are you happy using LeoWeb even with the Cub problems?

Not really, but maybe I'll be happier with the next round of upgrades.