Backing up data

This is somewhat off the main theme of this list, but since everyone
here seems to enjoy talking about computers as much as trading,
let's give it a go...

My Jaz drive recently turned psychotic.  During backups my Jaz
wedges my computer and corrupts the file systems on the backup media at
the same time.  I tried the unit on two differeent Unix machines with
different media and backups wedged the machine both times.  Needless to
say, I'm really *really* pissed at Iomega for marketing such a pile of
crap. The drive is only a year old or so.

Looks like its time to buy that CD ROM burner.  I would like to master
backups of my file systems on CD ROM in both permanent format and
rewritable format (incremental backups).  Also, the unit must work
on Windows and Macintosh systems at a minimum.  I would also like to drive
the unit from a Unix system so I can't make a lot of assumptions about the
operating system it runs on.

And it must be reliable.  I hear that these burners sometimes hicup
and corrupt the CD ROM so you get some badly mastered CDs.

So the question is "what are your recommendations for CD ROM burners?"
The Sony, Phillips and Ricoh units seem to be popular.  Any experiences
with these units or others under Windows, Unix and Macs?

- Hacker

Dark Hacker                   |  Hacker and Fortress web mechanic
The Guardians Of Computation  |  Fortress Of Computation
mail: hacker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  web: http://www.computation.com/pub/hacker/
       "Building our future... one twisted freak at a time."