DEFLATION MYTH

Simple each serialized bill/digital credit is tracked with a certain amount
of gold backing it.  When you deposit the money in the bank they pay you a
certain amount to use it.

If you are intrested in this subject you can study Austrian Economics or
check out the Von Mises Institute.

Simple supply and demand..  If gold is scarce, your gold backed bills will
be able to buy many loaves of bread.

It goes back to the first existance of money.  They didn't want to drag all
this gold around.
People appeared that were willing to store it for a fee and write a receipt
for it.  You could then trade the receipt (a paper note) for goods and
services.  The person receiving the note knew that he could at any time go
and redeem it for gold at the storage facility.  The fraud started coming
into the picture when they had thousands of notes out backed by gold in the
storage faciltiy.  Knowing that not all the people are going to redeem their
notes, they started printing up more than one note for each unit of gold in
storage (fraudulently).

Worse case scenario --  A run on the banks occurs, this is fine as long as
the banks are held accountable to repay depositors.

FDR relieved the banks of ever having to repay depositors (the so called
banking holiday).  This was the worst thing he could do.  In the free market
he should have let the banks that were going fail do just that.  And the
ones that made it financially by the the skin of their teeth or better would
be the banks that would be the stronger and more fiscally sound.

And for a side note....  The Roaring Twenties was built on a credit bubble.
When you can borrow money cheaply people are willing to expand their
businesses (get loans for new equipment, buildings, employees ect.)  This
creates a look of prosperity on the surface.  New houses and pizza
franchises going up everywhere.  But it is built on credit that must be
repaid.   If there is a slump you can't make the payments etc...

Under the gold standard there are not extreem fluctuations in business
cycles and interest rates..

La Gonzo